Series V of Red Dwarf aired between February and March 1992. It starred Chris Barrie as Arnold Rimmer, Craig Charles as Dave Lister, Danny John-Jules as the Cat, Robert Llewellyn as Kryten and Hattie Hayridge as Holly.
Horrors and delights abound, as Arnold Rimmer gains and gives everything up for love, the crew face utter erasure from history in the ultimate test of their self-worth, take a stroll through Rimmer's self-loathing sub-concious physically manifested, and later face the extent of his cruelty and the terror of his insanity (hand puppet accomplice on side), only before meeting each of their own best and worst halves and finally having who they are ultimately thrown into question. Can the crew make it through it all with themselves intact?
|Picture||Title||Original Airdate||Episode #|
|Holoship||February 20, 1992||25|
|The crew encounters a legendary holoship, a spaceship made entirely of light and crewed by highly trained, and extremely arrogant, holograms.|
|The Inquisitor||February 27, 1992||26|
|The crew faces off against the Inquisitor, a self-repairing simulant who survived to the end of time and has made it his mission to visit every single soul, judging each one on whether they have lead a worthwhile life, deleting the ones who did not and replacing them those who never had a chance to exist.|
|Terrorform||March 5, 1992||27|
|Arnold Rimmer is lost on a psi-moon, a terraforming moon that reshapes itself to mimic a person's psyche. With Rimmer's own psyche controlling the moon, the Dave Lister, Kryten and the Cat have to wade through the most gruesome horror and battle an entity know as the Unspeakable One in order to rescue Rimmer and escape.|
|Quarantine||March 12, 1992||28|
|Rimmer is driven insane by a holovirus and tortures Lister, Kryten and the Cat with his new telekinetic powers and with the help of his fearsome henchman, Mr. Flibble.|
|Demons & Angels||March 19, 1992||29|
|A triplicator, a device that makes three copies of anything, triplicates Red Dwarf and its crew into three different versions: the normal crew, a saintly version of the crew and a cross-dressing, naughty, evil version.|
|Back To Reality||March 26, 1992||30|
|Just as the crew is about to die a most horrible death, the screen flashes "Game Over" and Lister, Kryten, the Cat and Rimmer find that their adventures aboard Red Dwarf were but a computer game...or were they?|
Main Cast Edit
- Craig Charles as Dave Lister
- Chris Barrie as Arnold Rimmer
- Hattie Hayridge as Holly
- Danny John-Jules as The Cat
- Robert Llewellyn as Kryten
- During the course of Series V, the crew encounters four different versions of themselves: the alternate Lister and Kryten from "The Inquisitor", the good and evil versions of themselves from "Demons & Angels" and the "real" versions from "Back to Reality".
- "Back to Reality" was aired as the series closer in order to keep fans guessing whether the game explanation was real or not.
- This was the last series to feature Holly and Red Dwarf itself until the finale of Series VII, and the last ever appearance of the female version played by Hattie Hayridge. Holly also later vanishes from Back to Earth onward.