- Holly, Series I
The crew of the Jupiter Mining Corporation mining ship Red Dwarf dies in a radiation accident and the only survivor, third technician Dave Lister is revived after three million years in suspended animation. His only company, besides Holly the ship's computer, is a hologram simulation of his much loathed immediate superior, Arnold Rimmer, and the the last descendant of a species that evolved from his stowed-aboard cat. On the way back to Earth they encounter future echoes, the difficulties of the chef's exam, the Lister-Cat race relationship, contract mutated pneumonia, and meet a double of one of the crew.
|Picture||Title||Original Airdate||Episode #|
|The End||February 15, 1988||1|
|Dave Lister awakens from stasis after three million years to find himself the only survivor of a radiation accident that killed the crew of the mining ship Red Dwarf. Lister's only companions are the ship's senile computer Holly, a hologram of his abrasive former bunkmate and superior, Arnold Rimmer, and a creature that has evolved from his pet, simply named the Cat.|
|Future Echoes||February 22, 1988||2|
|As the ship accelerates to the speed of light, the Boys from the Dwarf experience future echoes or glimpses into their future.|
|Balance of Power||February 29, 1988||3|
|Lister wants to revive navigation officer, and secret crush, Kristine Kochanski, replacing Rimmer as ship's hologram, and takes the chef's exam in order to outrank Rimmer to do so.|
|Waiting for God||March 7, 1988.||4|
|Lister discovers he is Cloister the Stupid, the cat's god; meanwhile, Rimmer investigates what he is convinced to be an alien pod.|
|Confidence and Paranoia||March 14, 1988||5|
|A mutated pneumonia virus causes Lister's dream to become real, including physical manifestations of his Confidence and Paranoia.|
|Me²||March 21, 1988||6|
|Lister brings online as a hologram what he thinks is Kochanski's personality disk, only to find that that Rimmer has switched disks.|
Main Cast Edit
- Craig Charles as Dave Lister
- Chris Barrie as Arnold Rimmer
- Norman Lovett as Holly
- Danny John-Jules as The Cat
- Although the pilot episode was first written in 1983, the show did not get filmed until 1987, delayed due to difficulties getting it commissioned, and then later an electricians strike. Also, despite being fairly well-received with decent ratings, the co-creators' low opinion of their starter pieces made it so that the series was not repeated on television or released to video until 1993.
- The second VHS tape (Byte Two) of this series bore the title "Confidence and Paranoia" despite "Waiting for God" being the actual first episode on the tape. While this was a somewhat frequent practice with VHS releases, in this case it came about because the BBC refused to allow the video to be titled "Waiting for God," out of concern that it might be confused with the contemporary sitcom of the same name.