Miners played a big role in the Jupiter Mining Corporation, mining asteroids and planetoids under dangerous conditions for reasonable pay. Alongside the miners worked engineers, mineral geologists, machine operatives and a whole range of support crew. In-between missions the miners and "Astros" typically took full advantage of getting off their ships that they have been in for long periods of time and taking planet-leave to enjoy and go crazy in the night clubs and bars.
- Overalls, Boots, Helmets, Space suits, breathing equipment and other Personal Protective Equipment.
- Bazookoids. These are plasma-firing laser guns used by mining colonies operated by the Jupiter Mining Corporation and are intended to blow apart rocks and ores. Bazookoids are standard equipment on mining freighters like Red Dwarf and have been named so in association to their design, looking similar to bazookas. They have be cocked between rounds.
- Explosives for blowing apart rocks.
- Transport shuttles to take equipment to and from the JMC ships. Blue Midgets and Starbug crafts were used most commonly for this purpose.
- Demolition equipment such as wrecking balls
Jupiter Mining Corporation, use city size mining freighters like Red Dwarf and others to transport all this and so much more. It would take a few years to do a round trip round the Solar system, hens the size and facilities on board and why crew member look forward to Planet leave. (It was unclear that the Rock and Ore was mined or refined on board ship, but given the size it could be possible)
Known JMC Miners
- Frank Saunders
- Various JMC miners played by actors Alan Mc Donald, Paul Ambrose, Johnny Barrs ("Stasis Leak", Series II)
History Pre radiation leak incident
- On Mimas when the miners and "Astros" took planet-leave to enjoy night clubs and bars, with a stolen taxi Lister used to hang around *Mimas tourist terminal and Pick up a lot of fairs in an attempt to earn enough money to pay for a ticket back home to earth.(Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers)
- Lister learnt about the long trip round the Solar system the hard way. His first initial plan was to go AWOL when the ship was next stopping at earth, but Lister soon realized that Red Dwarf had further to go out before heading back to Earth clocking up a few years, after Lister had enough, mainly after the break up with Kristine he deliberately didn't tell the captain the whereabouts of his cat and for fitted the rest of his pay and time with JMC to be put in to stasis.(Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers)
- Frank Saunders was an engineer who worked for Jupiter Mining Corporation assigned to Red Dwarf. When he first signed up he and his wife Carole Saunders knew mining would be dangerous, but agreed that the money was good, he was crushed by a 4,000 Kg demolition ball and died whilst working. He was brought back as a Hologram but was later replaced by George McIntyre.(Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers)
- At the "Hacienda" astro space bar, Second Technician Arnold Rimmer drunkenly voiced aloud the rumour that MacWilliams was "in favour of sleeping with the dead". Right to MacWilliam's face, when he was with four of his biggest mates. This caused a bar room brawl, and Rimmer was quickly ran out the door and left Dave Lister to face the music alone. ("Marooned", Series III)
History Post radiation leak incident
- The Boys from the Dwarf would often use Mining equipment mainly the Bazookoids both as defensive and offensive weapons. ("Polymorph", Series III) onwards on.
Behind the scenes
There is a bit more mention of the Miners in the novels and books. Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers